All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $28.69Trending at AU $30.81
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.80
- AU $44.48Trending at AU $52.87
- AU $34.28Trending at AU $38.66
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.34
- AU $44.27Trending at AU $52.85
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.19
About this product
- DescriptionState regulation of labour migration is confronted with a double paradox. First, while markets require a policy of open borders to fulfill demands for migrant workers, the boundaries of citizenship impose some degree of closure to the outside. Second, while the exclusivity of citizenship requires closed membership, civil and human rights undermine the state's capacity to exclude foreigners once they are in the country. By considering how Malaysia and Spain have responded to the demand for foreign labour, this book analyses what may be identified as the trilemma between markets, citizenship and rights. For though their markets are similar, the two countries have different approaches to citizenship and rights. We must thus ask: how do such divergences affect state responses to market demands and how, in turn, do state regulations impact labour migration flows? And what does this mean for contemporary migration overall? This title is available in the OAPEN Library - http://www.oapen.org.
- Author BiographyBlanca Garces-Mascarenas graduated from the University of Barcelona with degrees in history and anthropology. At the University of Amsterdam, she received a Master's cum laude in ethnic and migration studies, followed in 2010 by a PhD cum laude in social sciences. She is currently a postdoctoral researcher with the Interdisciplinary Research Group in Immigration (GRITIM) at Pompeu Fabra University in Barcelona.
- Author(s)Blanca Garces-Mascarenas
- PublisherAmsterdam University Press
- Date of Publication31/08/2011
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Series TitleIMISCOE Research
- Place of PublicationAmsterdam
- Country of PublicationNetherlands
- ImprintAmsterdam University Press
- Out-of-print date28/11/2016
- Content NoteIllustrations, maps
- Weight453 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine18 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.