All listings for this product
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.90Trending at AU $23.55
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $75.38
- AU $32.88Trending at AU $36.70
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.07
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.48
- AU $17.45Trending at AU $19.79
- AU $44.07Trending at AU $51.53
About this product
- DescriptionThe executive, the legislature and the judiciary are the three branches of government, both state and central, in India. Of these, it is the judiciary's task to uphold constitutional values and ensure justice for all. The interpretation and application of constitutional values by the judicial system has had far-reaching impact, often even altering provisions of the Constitution itself. Although our legal system was originally based on the broad principles of the English common law, over the years it has been adapted to Indian traditions and been changed, for the better, by certain landmark verdicts. In Landmark Judgments that Changed India, former Supreme Court judge and eminent jurist Asok Kumar Ganguly analyses certain cases that led to the formation of new laws and changes to the legal system. Discussed in this book are judgments in cases such as Kesavananda Bharati v. State of Kerala that curtailed the power of Parliament to amend the Constitution; Maneka Gandhi v. Union of India and Others that defined personal liberty; and Golaknath v. State of Punjab, where it was ruled that amendments which infringe upon fundamental rights cant be passed. Of special significance for law students and practitioners, this book is also an ideal guide for anyone interested in the changes made to Indian laws down the years, and the evolution of the judicial system to what it is today.
- Author BiographyJustice Asok Kumar Ganguly was a judge in the Supreme Court of India and chairman, West Bengal Human Rights Commission (2012-2014). He became a judge of the Calcutta High Court in January 1994, and was the acting chief justice of the Calcutta High Court twice, as well as chief justice of the Orissa High Court and the Madras High Court. He has delivered judgment in several landmark cases.
- Author(s)Asok Kumar Ganguly
- PublisherRupa & Co
- Date of Publication02/08/2015
- SubjectLaw: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationNew Delhi
- Country of PublicationIndia
- ImprintRupa & Co
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight345 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine11 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.