Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $70.84
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.70
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.14
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $87.71
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.72
- AU $34.66Trending at AU $35.87
- AU $28.96Trending at AU $38.89
About this product
- DescriptionLanguage Attrition Downunder investigates the loss of a first language in a second language environment. In the first large-scale study on German speakers in Sydney, Australia, permanent residents and naturalised citizens who arrived as adults were interviewed. The survey establishes that after an immigration and assimilation period of ten to twenty years, the speakers' first language was markedly impaired. In particular, pragmatic aspects of omatopoeia, reflex responses and repartee had attrited in the first language.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Margit Waas received her Ph.D. in Applied Linguistics from Macquarie University, Sydney. She has taught German, English and Applied Linguistics at National Chung Cheng University, Taiwan, and is currently Professor of English language and linguistics at Universidad Europea de Madrid.
- Author(s)Margit Waas
- PublisherPeter Lang GmbH
- Date of Publication01/11/1996
- Series TitleStudien zur Allgemeinen und Romanischen Sprachwissenschaft
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 3
- Place of PublicationFrankfurt am Main
- Country of PublicationGermany
- First Published1996
- ImprintPeter Lang GmbH
- Content Note2 fig., 21 tables
- Weight290 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.