All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.11Trending at AU $24.23
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.16
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.95
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.37
- AU $30.82Trending at AU $34.97
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.45
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.82
About this product
- DescriptionExplore the connections among language, culture, and communicative meaning Using data from cultures and languages throughout the world to highlight both similarities and differences in human languages, Language, Culture and Communication, Seventh Edition, explores the many interconnections among language, culture, and communicative meaning. The text examines the multifaceted meanings and uses of language. It also emphasizes the ways in which language encapsulates speakers' meanings and intentions. Nancy Bonvillain focuses on analyzing communicative interactions, revealing how social relations are produced and reproduced through speech. The text also highlights the analysis of language ideologies, that is, the beliefs that people have about language structure itself, about language usage, and about appropriate rms for producing and evaluating speech. This 7th edition contains updated information throughout as well as several new sections. Examples of language practices in African societies have also been added. Learning Goals Upon completing this book, readers will be able to: * Recognize reputation and pattern in human speech. * Understand the formation and structure of language. * Have a strong understanding of the use of rhetoric in communication.
- Author BiographyNancy Bonvillain is a professor of anthropology and linguistics at Bard College at Simon's Rock. She is author of over twenty books on language, culture, and gender, including a series on Native American peoples. In her field work she studied the Mohawk and Navajo, and she has published a grammar and dictionary of the Akwesasne dialect of Mohawk. She received her PhD from Columbia University in 1972 and has taught at Columbia University, The New School, SUNY Purchase and Stonybrook, and Sarah Lawrence College.
- Author(s)Nancy Bonvillain
- PublisherPearson Education (US)
- Date of Publication21/02/2013
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, figures
- Weight635 g
- Width178 mm
- Height232 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edition Statement7th Revised edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.