All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.02
- AU $69.30Trending at AU $126.46
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $9.55
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.22
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.55
- AU $36.19Trending at AU $37.61
About this product
- DescriptionAfrican American language is central to the teaching of linguistics and language in the United States, and this book, in the series Studies in the Social and Cultural Foundations of Language, is aimed specifically at upper level undergraduates and graduates. It covers the entire field - grammar, speech, and verbal genres, and it also discusses the various historical strands that need to be identified in order to understand the development of African American English. The first section deals with the social and cultural history of the American South, the second with urban and rthern black popular culture, and the third with policy issues. Morgan examines the language within the context of the changing and complex African American and general American speech communities, and their culture, politics, art and institutions. She also covers the current heated political and educational debates about the status of the African American dialect.
- Author BiographyMarcyliena Morgan is Associate Professor of Anthropology at the University of California, Los Angeles. Her research has focused on language, culture and identity, sociolinguistics, discourse and interaction, and she is the editor of Language and the Social Construction of Identity in Creole Situations.
- Author(s)Marcyliena H. Morgan
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication04/07/2002
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Series TitleStudies in the Social and Cultural Foundations of Language
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 20
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note3 b/w illus. 4 maps 8 tables
- Weight300 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Series Edited byJudith T. Irvine,Bambi B. Schieffelin,Marjorie Harness Goodwin,Joel C. Kuipers,Don Kulick,John Lucy,Elinor Ochs,Michael Silverstein
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.