All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.40
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $170.82
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $118.00
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $109.01
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $107.40
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.95
About this product
- DescriptionThis study examines the relation of image and language as well as the relation of ethics and aesthetics through a discussion of the positions of Kierkegaard and Wittgenstein. In the <i>Tractatus</i> Wittgenstein pursues the idea that the image can show what language cant express and defends an aesthetic unity of ethics and aesthetics. Is he right? Is there t much to be said in favour of the opposite position, represented by Kierkegaard's pseudonymous author Judge William (in <i>Either/Or</i>)? William criticizes the image and argues in favour of language and of an ethical unity of aesthetics and ethics. William shows that the word has a decisive surplus when compared to the image. However, this position has its shortcomings too: language is t the only place of authentic communication. Looking for an alternative to 'logoclasm' (the early Wittgenstein) and 'icoclasm' (William), Zijlstra explores Wittgenstein's later work and Kierkegaard's oeuvre as a whole and presents a new way of thinking about the relation of ethics and aesthetics.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Onno Zijlstra Ph.D. (1949) teaches philosophy at the Theologische Universiteit Kampen and at Artez Institute of the Arts. His works include <i>Het kunstwerk en de zin van het bestaan</i> (1998) and <i>Dilemma's </i>(2003). He is editor of <i>Als ik Job niet had. Tien denkers over God en het lijden </i>(1997) and <i>Letting Go. Rethinking Kenosis</i> (2002).
- Author(s)Onno Zijlstra
- PublisherVerlag Peter Lang
- Date of Publication01/08/2006
- SubjectThe Arts: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationPieterlen
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintVerlag Peter Lang
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight270 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.