Language and Linguistics in Context: Readings and Applications for Teachers by Taylor & Francis Inc (Paperback, 2005)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $93.18+ AU $10.00 postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by roxy*books
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $80.93+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $65.90Trending at AU $72.27
- AU $64.90Trending at AU $71.26
- AU $93.88Trending at AU $107.07
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $104.10
- AU $55.80Trending at AU $56.95
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $113.28
- AU $84.90Trending at AU $87.69
About this product
- DescriptionTaking a sociocultural and educational approach, Language and Linguistics in Context: Readings and Applications for Teachers: *introduces basic linguistic concepts and current perspectives on language acquisition; *considers the role of linguistic change (especially in English) in the politics of language; *ackwledges the role of linguists in current policies involving language; *offers insights into the relationship between the structure of language systems and first- and second-language acquisition; the study of language across culture, class, race, gender, and ethnicity; and between language study and literacy and education; and *provides readers with a basis for understanding current educational debates about bilingual education, n-standard dialects, English only movements, literacy methodologies, and generally the importance to teaching of the study of language. The text is organized into three thematic units - What is Language and How is It Acquired? ; How Does Language Change? ; and What is Literacy? . To achieve both breadth and depth - that is, to provide a big picture view of basic linguistics and at the same time make it specific eugh for the beginner - a selection of readings, including personal language narratives, is provided to both introduce and clarify linguistic concepts. The readings, by well-kwn theoretical and applied linguists and researchers from various disciplines, are diverse in level and range of topics and vary in level of linguistic formalism. Pedagogical features: This text is designed for a range of courses in English and language arts, bilingualism, applied linguistics, and ESL courses in teacher education programs. Each unit contains a substantive introduction to the topic, followed by the readings. Each reading concludes with Questions to Think About including one Extending Your Understanding question, and a short list of Terms to Define. Each unit ends with additional Extending Your Understanding and Making Connections activities that engage readers in applying what they have read to teaching and suggested projects and a bibliography of Print and Web Resources. The readings and apparatus are arranged so that the material can be modified to fit many course plans and schemes of presentation. To help individual instructors make the most effective use of the text in specific classes, a set of matrixes is provided suggesting configurations of readings for different types of linguistics and education classes.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Inc
- Date of Publication28/10/2005
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationMahwah
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintLawrence Erlbaum Associates Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight800 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Edited byDeborah M. Seymour,Harriet Luria,Trudy Smoke
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.