All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.00Trending at AU $19.18
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.53
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.37
- AU $36.79Trending at AU $38.16
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.69
- AU $20.18Trending at AU $24.51
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.66
About this product
- DescriptionLanguage plays a central role in creating and sustaining the market society-a society, that is, in which market exchange is longer simply a process, but an all-encompassing social principle. The social domains affected include education, politics and religion. Around the world, government departments have re-defined themselves as service providers; universities produce graduates; job seekers are asked to package themselves more effectively, and there are consultants specializing in church marketing. And as individuals, too, we are supposed to brand ourselves, sell ourselves and strategically manage our personal relationships. Through an intricate dialectic, such patterns of linguistic choices reinforce the social structures that shape them, further consolidating the marketization process. Marketization thus emerges as a globally unfolding process in which language holds a key position as both cause and effect, and as both subject and object. The book examines these phemena from a linguistic and critical perspective, drawing on critical discourse analysis, sociological treatises of market society, and critical management studies.
- Author BiographyGerlinde Mautner holds a chair in English Business Communication at the Vienna University of Economics and Business.
- Author(s)Gerlinde Mautner
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication22/04/2010
- SubjectEconomics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleRoutledge Critical Studies in Discourse
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 2
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note2 black & white tables, 10 black & white halftones
- Weight453 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Format DetailsPaper over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.