Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.09
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $170.17
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.55
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.59
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.38
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.54
About this product
- DescriptionIntroducing new findings from popular culture, the globalised new ecomy and computer-mediated communication, this is a fascinating study of contact between languages in modern societies. Ansaldo and Lim bring together research on multilingualism, code-switching, language endangerment, and globalisation, into a comprehensive overview of world Englishes and creoles. Illustrated with a wide range of original examples from typologically diverse languages, including Sinitic, Autronesian, Dravidian and other n-Indo-European varieties, the book focuses on structural analyses of Asian ecologies and their relevance for current theories of contact phemena. Full of new insights, it is essential reading for students and researchers across linguistics, culture and communication.
- Author BiographyLisa Lim is Assistant Professor and Coordinator of the Language and Communication programme at the University of Hong Kong. She co-edited The Typology of Asian Englishes (2009) and English in Multilingual, Globalising Asia (2009). She has developed the online resource LinguisticMinorities.HK, for which she won the Faculty Knowledge Exchange Award 2014. Umberto Ansaldo is Professor in Linguistics at the University of Hong Kong. His book Contact Languages: Ecology and Evolution (Cambridge, 2009) garnered the 2010 faculty research output award. He is co-editor of the Creole Language Library and editor-in-chief of Language Sciences.
- Author(s)Lisa Lim,Umberto Ansaldo
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication30/09/2015
- Series TitleKey Topics in Sociolinguistics
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note2 b/w illus. 8 tables
- Weight420 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine17 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.