All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.37Trending at AU $49.47
- AU $74.26Trending at AU $76.60
- AU $22.10Trending at AU $23.03
- AU $35.49Trending at AU $39.06
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.56
- AU $17.58Trending at AU $23.07
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.86
About this product
- DescriptionIn Lap of the Gods Jill Dudley explores the ancient Greek myths and legends of Crete and other Aegean islands, describing the landscape and the individuality of each as well as the characters she meets. With her customary light touch she traces the lives of such famous island figures as Hippocrates, Pythagoras, Homer, and Sappho who all excelled under the guidance of the Olympian gods. As in her earlier books she is curious regarding how and why Christianity took over from the pagan gods. While professing to be a wavering atheist and on a continual search for enlightenment, she also admits to calling on God (sometimes Apollo) when in a tight corner. She is accompanied as always by Harry, her stalwart husband, as they visit temple sites, early Byzantine churches, attend festivals, and climb to sacred mountain caves. The book is an easy read, well researched, informative and often comical.
- Author(s)Jill Dudley
- PublisherOrpington Publishers
- Date of Publication21/03/2015
- SubjectTravel & Holiday Guides: General
- Place of PublicationStockland
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOrpington Publishers
- Content Note11 island maps and map of islands in Aegean
- Width128 mm
- Height196 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.