All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionI touched bottom, as alcoholics like to say, on 12 February 1983 (the date is slightly fuzzy). Thirty-one years ago John Sutherland nearly lost everything to drink. A married man, with family, working as a visiting professor of English on the west coast of America, he awoke from a blackout to find he was lying next to a stranger - a very strange stranger. This was his morning of clarity; it was time to sober up. Or die. Last Drink To LA is part reportage, part confession, in which John takes a frank look at drinking culture on both sides of the Atlantic, weighing up the pros and cons of Alcoholics Anymous, which since its launch nearly a century ago has sparked hot debate. Is it a cult, or the best life-saver drinkers have? What John courageously 'shares' here is t a temperance tale (told to terrify, inform and instruct), t what AA calls a 'drunkalog', but a moving and thought-provoking meditation - some thinking about drinking and the devastating effects it has on individuals, families and society at large.
- Author BiographyJohn Sutherland was formerly Lord Northcliffe Professor of Modern English Literature at University College London. A recovering drunk, he is the author of many, many books.
- Author(s)John Sutherland
- PublisherShort Books Ltd
- Date of Publication01/01/2015
- SubjectCoping with Problems & Illness
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintShort Books Ltd
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.89
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $71.21Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $25.48Trending at AU $28.39
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $14.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.