Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $56.24Trending at AU $57.63
- AU $70.99Trending at AU $74.50
- AU $73.74Trending at AU $86.12
- AU $68.01Trending at AU $77.28
- AU $61.12Trending at AU $61.77
- AU $65.85Trending at AU $79.20
- AU $11.89Trending at AU $18.44
About this product
- DescriptionThe blood-red of Manhattan, the brilliant green of an Irish-American wake, the blue-rinsed divas of the opera and the bathhouse alike (Michael Gorra) are hyptically rendered in this astoundingly smart book (John Waters). With some of the most lyrical cadences in recent literature, the legendary James McCourt animates twentieth-century New York through a kaleidoscope of sharp-edged, brilliantly colored memories (J. D. McClatchy) and with dynamic prose and high-brow erudition that has gone the way of the dodo (Publishers Weekly). Braiding a stalgic portrait of the eternal city with a boy's funny, guttersnipe precocity and outrageous coming-of-age in the 1940s and 1950s, McCourt revisits the fantasy city of his youth with Proustian memories of steam calliopes in Central Park, Hiroshima obliterated in a flash of light, and closing his mother's eyes for the last time. As sensational as it is satisfying, Lasting City, a profoundly American work, identifies the spot where genius and madness meet.
- Author BiographyJames McCourt is the author of Mawrdew Czgowchwz, Time Remaining, Delancey's Way, Now Voyagers: The Night Sea Journey and Queer Street. He has contributed to the Yale Review, The New Yorker, and the Paris Review. He lives in New York City and Washington, D.C.
- Author(s)James McCourt
- PublisherWW Norton & Co
- Date of Publication24/10/2014
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintLiveright Publishing Corporation
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, frontispiece
- Weight270 g
- Width140 mm
- Height211 mm
- Spine20 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.