All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionJacopo Sannazaro (1456-1530), considered by some authorities the finest Neo-Latin poet of the Italian Renaissance, spent most of his career in Naples, where he was a member and ultimately the head of the Academia Pontaniana. He is most famous for having written, in Italian, the first pastoral romance in European literature, the Arcadia (1504). But after this early work, Sannazaro devoted himself entirely to Latin poetry modeled on his beloved Vergil. In addition to his epic The Virgin Birth (1526), which earned him the title of 'the Christian Vergil', he also composed Piscatory Eclogues , an invative adaption of the eclogue form, as well as elegies, epigrams, and a number of shorter works. This volume contains the first complete English translation of all of Sannazaro's poetry in Latin.
- Author BiographyMichael C. J. Putnam is W. Duncan MacMillan II Professor of Classics Emeritus at Brown University.
- Author(s)Jacopo Sannazaro
- PublisherHarvard University Press
- Date of Publication01/05/2009
- LanguageEnglish & Latin
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Series TitleThe I Tatti Renaissance Library
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 38
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHarvard University Press
- Weight726 g
- Width133 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine36 mm
- Translated byMichael C. J. Putnam
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $13.74Trending at AU $16.23
- AU $35.30Trending at AU $38.10
- AU $14.06Trending at AU $20.97
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.98
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.38
- AU $30.82Trending at AU $34.99
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.48
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.