All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.09
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $170.17
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.55
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.59
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.38
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.54
About this product
- DescriptionFor the Anglo-Saxons, Latin was a language of choice that revealed a multitude of beliefs and desires about themselves as subjects, believers, scholars, and artists. In this groundbreaking collection, ten leading scholars explore the intersections between identity and Latin language and literature in Anglo-Saxon England. Ranging from the works of the Venerable Bede and St Boniface in the eighth century to Osbern's account of eleventh-century Canterbury, Latinity and Identity in Anglo-Saxon Literature offers new insights into the Anglo-Saxons' ideas about literary form, monasticism, language, and national identity. Latin prose, poetry, and musical styles are reconsidered, as is the relationship between Latin and Old English. Monastic identity, intertwined as it was with the learning of Latin and reformation of the self, is also an important theme. By offering fresh perspectives on texts both famous and neglected, Latinity and Identity will transform readers' views of Anglo-Latin literature.
- Author BiographyRebecca Stephenson is a Lecturer in Old and Middle English at University College Dublin. Emily V. Thornbury is an Associate Professor in the Department of English at the University of California, Berkeley.
- PublisherUniversity of Toronto Press
- Date of Publication04/08/2016
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleToronto Anglo-Saxon Series
- Place of PublicationToronto
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintUniversity of Toronto Press
- Content Note2 figures
- Weight550 g
- Width159 mm
- Height236 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Edited byEmily Victoria Thornbury,Rebecca Stephenson
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.