All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $90.88Trending at AU $93.00
- AU $28.69Trending at AU $30.81
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.80
- AU $44.48Trending at AU $52.87
- AU $78.77Trending at AU $116.22
- AU $34.28Trending at AU $38.66
- AU $44.27Trending at AU $52.85
About this product
- DescriptionThis book examines the activities of a broad array of police officers in Ptolemaic Egypt (323-30 BC) and argues that Ptolemaic police officials enjoyed great automy, providing assistance to even the lowest levels of society when crimes were committed. Throughout the nearly 300 years of Ptolemaic rule, victims of crime in all areas of the Egyptian countryside called on local police officials to investigate crimes; hold trials; and arrest, question and sometimes even imprison wrongdoers. Drawing on a large body of textual evidence for the cultural, social and ecomic interactions between state and citizen, John Bauschatz demonstrates that the police system was efficient, effective, and largely independent of central government controls. No other law enforcement organization exhibiting such a degree of automy and flexibility appears in extant evidence from the rest of the Greco-Roman world.
- Author BiographyJohn Bauschatz is Assistant Professor in the Department of Classics at the University of Arizona. His research focuses on Greek and Roman social history, Greek papyrology, Hellenistic and Roman Egypt, and crime in antiquity. He has been named a National Lecturer for the Archaeological Institute of America (2013-14) and has published in such journals as The Classical Bulletin, The Classical Journal, Syllecta Classica and Zeitschrift fur Papyrologie und Epigraphik.
- Author(s)John Bauschatz
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication14/10/2013
- SubjectAncient History
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight740 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine24 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.