All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.61
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $169.05
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $116.86
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.96
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.36
- AU $49.80Trending at AU $52.07
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $104.93
About this product
- DescriptionPreston M. Sprinkle examines the interpretation of Lev 18:5 (awhich if a person does he will live by them) in early Judaism and in Paul. This passage from Leviticus, used in later Old Testament tradition (Ezek 20:11, 13, 21; Neh 9:29), became one of the more important verses from the Hebrew Bible for early Jewish reflection on the tion that obedience to the Mosaic law will lead to eternal life. The apostle Paul cites the passage on two occasions (Gal 3:12; Rom 10:5) and his interpretation of it is highly debated. While scholars often discuss its meaning in Paul, a thorough examination of Lev 18:5 in the Old Testament and early Judaism has been virtually igred. The author, then, seeks to contribute to our understanding of Paul's view of the law in relation to early Jewish soteriology through the lens of their respective interpretations of Lev 18:5. This is carried out by first examining the passage in its original literary context of Leviticus. Then, an examination is made of its later use in the Hebrew Bible (Ezekiel and Nehemiah) and the Septuagint. Following is a study of every citation of and allusion to Lev 18:5 in Early Judaism (ca. 200 B.C. to AD 100). Finally, the author takes a look at Paul's two citations of the text (Romans and Galatians). He concludes with a comparison between Early Jewish and Pauline interpretations of Lev 18:5.
- Author BiographyPreston M. Sprinkle, Born in 1976; B.A. in Biblical Studies at The Master's College (California), MDiv in Biblical Exegesis from The Master's Seminary (California), PhD in New Testament from Aberdeen University (Scotland); currently Assistant Professor of Biblical Studies in the School of Biblical and Theological Studies at Cedarville University (Ohio, USA).
- Author(s)Preston M Sprinkle
- PublisherJCB Mohr (Paul Siebeck)
- SubjectChristianity: General
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintJCB Mohr (Paul Siebeck)
- Content Noteillustrations
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.