All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.23
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.11
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.05
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.87
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.29
- AU $57.95Trending at AU $58.89
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $113.02
About this product
- DescriptionThat over forty years after they were delivered these famous but unavailable Gifford Lectures should be published is occasion for celebration. Once again we hear Daube s voice, patient and probing, as he turns over, tests, pushes fresh inquiries, and finds new insights. No man has had such a subtle sense of scriptural texts matched by such a supple sense of the practices and peculiarities of human beings engaged in the legal process. <i>Law and Wisdom in the Bible</i> is classic Daube. mdash;John T. Noonan Jr., United States Circuit Judge</p>David Daube (1909 99) was kwn for his unique and sophisticated research on Roman law, biblical law, Jewish Law, and medical ethics. In <i>Law and Wisdom in the Bible</i>, the first published collection of his 1964 Gifford Lectures, Daube derives from his complex understanding of biblical texts both ancient and contemporary tions about wisdom, justice, and education.</p>In addressing these and other profound issues, Daube crosses traditional disciplinary boundaries and bridges thegap between humanism and religion, especially with regard to Christianity and Judaism. With his sophisticated understanding of Talmudic law and literature, his thinking, which is on full display in these lectures, revolutionized prevailing perceptions about the New Testament.</p>
- Author BiographyCalum Carmichael is professor of comparative literature and adjunct professor of law at Cornell University. He has degrees in science, historical theology, and law from the Universities of Glasgow, Edinburgh, and Oxford. He is the author of nine books that focus primarily on biblical law, the editor of a six volume series devoted to the work of David Daube, who was his tutor at Oxford, and the author of a memoir of Daube.
- Author(s)David Daube
- PublisherTempleton Foundation Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication01/04/2010
- SubjectChristianity: Bibles & Liturgy
- Place of PublicationRadnor
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTempleton Foundation Press,U.S.
- Weight363 g
- Width152 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byCalum Carmichael
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.