All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis text seeks to situate socio-legal studies in a global context. Law and society scholarship in the United States and elsewhere typically assumes one legal system and one society and explores the relationship between them. Such a narrow endeavor perpetuates a Western international relations model that too often conflates law, culture and the nation-state. A more global socio-legal perspective engages with multiple laws and societies within and across national borders and recognizes diverse socio-legal systems based on very different historical and cultural traditions, interacting on multiple local, national and global levels. This more global perspective also reveals an array of transnational issues including regional conflicts, gecide, mass immigration, environmental degradation, and climate change that have consistently defied resolution via conventional international system of governance. The approach to global legal pluralism outlined here seeks to provide a framework for envisioning new global governance regimes that move beyond state-based solutions to deal with trenchant transnational challenges.
- Author BiographyEve Darian-Smith is Professor in Global Studies at the University of California, Santa Barbara. She holds degrees in law (Melbourne) and sociocultural anthropology (Harvard, Chicago). Her research engages with issues of legal pluralism and explores the changing role of law and legal institutions in the context of globalization. Her first book, Bridging Divides: The Channel Tunnel and English Legal Identity in the New Europe, won the Law and Society Association Herbert Jacob Book Prize. Subsequent books include Laws of the Postcolonial; New Capitalists: Law, Politics and Identity Surrounding Casino Gaming on Native American Land; and most recently Religion, Race, Rights: Landmarks in the History of Anglo-American Law. She is on various editorial boards and is a former associate editor of American Ethnologist and Law and Society Review.
- Author(s)Eve Darian-Smith
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication31/01/2013
- SubjectLaw: General & Reference
- Series TitleLaw in Context
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note7 b/w illus.
- Weight580 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.95Trending at AU $23.55
- AU $32.88Trending at AU $36.70
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.07
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.48
- AU $23.80Trending at AU $32.83
- AU $16.92Trending at AU $21.72
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $33.67
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.