All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAwarded the Caldecott Medal in 1941, <i>They Were Strong and Good</i> is a classic book that follows the path of one family s journey through American history. Robert Lawson introduces us to his forefathers and with them we brave Caribbean storms, travel to the wharf markets of New York, and fight in the Civil War. Amidst these adventures Lawson s grandparents meet, marry, and raise a family, and later his parents follow the same cycle of life. But this book is more than just the story of one family, it s a social history of our country. It reminds us to be proud of our ancestors who they were, what they did, and the effect that they had on the nation we live in today. <i>None of them were great or famous, but they were strong and good. They worked hard and had many children. They all helped to make the United States the great nation that it w is. Let us be proud of them and guard well the heritage they have left us.
- Author BiographyRobert Lawson (1892-1957) received his art training at the New York School of Fine and Applied Arts. His favorite medium, pen and ink, is used expressively and with detail in his black and white illustrations inThe Story of Ferdinand (by Munro Leaf). In addition to illustrating many children's books, includingMr. Popper's Penguins, Robert Lawson also wrote and illustrated a number of his own books for children. In 1940, he was awarded the Caldecott Medal for his picture book illustrations inThey Were Strong and Goodand in 1944, he was awarded the Newbery Medal for his middle grade novelRabbit Hill.
- Author(s)Robert Lawson
- PublisherPenguin Books Australia
- Date of Publication27/01/1983
- SubjectChildren's Fiction
- Place of PublicationHawthorn
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- ImprintPenguin Books Australia
- Out-of-print date29/01/2010
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight476 g
- Width216 mm
- Height260 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $63.56Trending at AU $66.11
- AU $79.36Trending at AU $80.55
- AU $60.00Trending at AU $71.11
- AU $30.95Trending at AU $31.69
- AU $28.87Trending at AU $31.69
- AU $49.99Trending at AU $53.41
- AU $22.67Trending at AU $25.17
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.