All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $103.88Trending at AU $107.88
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.61
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $169.05
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.96
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.36
- AU $49.79Trending at AU $52.07
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $88.81
About this product
- DescriptionFootball FranCais There are two kinds of football in France.American football has been played in France since 1909 during thecruise of the Great White Fleet, when the American military shippedfootballs, helmets, and shoulder pads alongside rifles and ammunitionto the western front. A 1938 tour of two teams lead by Jim Crowley ofFordham University maintained the game until World War II, whenthe arrival of millions of young Americans in France motivated theU.S. military to sponsor several bowl games. During the 1950s and1960s, when the United States occupied bases in France during theCold War, American soldiers, sailors, and airmen played more thana thousand football games. When France withdrew from NATO, however,American bases were forced to close, leaving American footballwithout a natural home on Gallic shores. In the 1970s American college and semi-pro teams once more triedto generate interest in the game among French nationals through aseries of tours, but until a French physical education instructor vacationedin Colorado and brought equipment back to France, there waslittle local enthusiasm for the sport. On the back of that vacation, andfrom one team in Paris, organized American football in France grewto more than 190 teams with more than 22,000 active players today.Le Football tackles the struggles and success of American footballin France and discusses how, unlike baseball and basketball, footballhas never been an overt instrument of American cultural influence.Russ Crawford keeps the chains moving as he shows how the modern,homegrown sport developed out of the American military complexand into a small but successful organization.
- Author BiographyRuss Crawford is an associate professor of history at Ohio Northern University, USA. He is the author of The Use of Sports to Promote the American Way of Life during the Cold War: Cultural Propaganda, 1946-1963.
- Author(s)Russ Crawford
- PublisherUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Date of Publication01/08/2016
- SubjectBall Games: Field & Outdoor
- Place of PublicationLincoln
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Content Note25 photographs, 18 tables
- Weight689 g
- Width3887 mm
- Height5817 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.