All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.86
- AU $69.30Trending at AU $126.46
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $10.41
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.42
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.22
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.55
About this product
- DescriptionIn an American society both increasingly diverse and increasingly segregated, the signals children receive about race are more confusing than ever. In this context, how do children negotiate and make meaning of multiple and conflicting messages to develop their own ideas about race? Learning Race, Learning Place engages this question using in-depth interviews with an ecomically diverse group of African American children and their mothers. Through these rich narratives, Erin N. Winkler seeks to reorient the way we look at how children develop their ideas about race through the introduction of a new framework-comprehensive racial learning-that shows the importance of considering this process from children's points of view and listening to their interpretations of their experiences, which are often quite different from what the adults around them expect or intend. At the children's prompting, Winkler examines the roles of multiple actors and influences, including gender, skin tone, colour-blind rhetoric, peers, family, media, school, and, especially, place. She brings to the fore the complex and understudied power of place, positing that while children's racial identities and experiences are shaped by a national construction of race, they are also specific to a particular place that exerts both direct and indirect influence on their racial identities and ideas.
- Author BiographyErin N. Winkler is an associate professor of Africology at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, USA.
- Author(s)Erin N. Winkler
- PublisherRutgers University Press
- Date of Publication15/09/2012
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationNew Brunswick, NJ
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRutgers University Press
- Content Note7 figures, 1 map
- Weight479 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.