CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $34.30Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.07
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.58
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $96.28
- AU $59.39Trending at AU $61.38
About this product
- DescriptionHow do teachers kw the limits of their speech? Free speech means more than simply being free to agree, though the authoritarian managerial cultures of many schools increasingly igre the need for a strong and empowered teaching profession. In response to this ongoing systemic contradiction, Learning What You Cant Say provides a unique combination of teacher narratives, cultural theory and black letter law as part of a broader effort to create an active and effective critical legal literacy. The book explores the subtle ways in which cultural values inform shared perceptions of the black letter law and the detrimental impact of teacher apathy and confusion about rights. Since public schools educate our future citizens who learn t only from books but also by example, strong teacher speech is vital to the continued health of both our education system and our democracy. Any transformative form of political literacy, the author insists, must consider the cultural politics as well as the substantive law of rights.
- Author BiographyJohn L. Hoben teaches in the law and society program and the Faculty of Education at Memorial University of Newfoundland. A member of the Law Society of Upper Canada and the Law Society of Newfoundland and Labrador, in 2007 he was awarded a Canada Graduate Scholarship (Doctoral) from the Social Sciences and Humanities Council of Canada to conduct a three-year study of teacher speech. Hoben regularly writes and presents on the theory and law of rights, technology and education, democratic education and civic literacy.
- Author(s)John L. Hoben
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication27/11/2014
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Series TitleCritical Studies in Democracy and Political Literarcy
- Series Part/Volume Number4
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2014
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight370 g
- Width150 mm
- Height225 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edition StatementNew edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.