All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $74.54Trending at AU $75.65
- AU $35.53Trending at AU $38.58
- AU $31.33Trending at AU $37.07
- AU $17.66Trending at AU $22.78
- AU $13.08Trending at AU $16.63
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.34
- AU $26.33Trending at AU $50.97
About this product
- DescriptionHuntington's Disease (HD) is a hereditary illness passed on via a defective gene. There is a fifty per cent chance of inheriting it from a parent and there is yet cure. Learning to Live with Huntington's Disease is one family's poignant story of coping with the symptoms, the diagsis and the effects of HD. This book presents the struggles and strengths of the whole family when one member loses their future to a terminal illness. Told by the sufferer and other significant family members, the individuals describe the burden of watching yourself and others for symptoms of HD, including involuntary movements, depression, clumsiness, weight loss, slurred speech and sometimes violent tendencies. The family recounts the challenge to remain united and describes how they approached issues such as whether or t to be tested for HD, how much information to disclose to relatives, whether to have children or t and guilt if one sibling inherits the illness and one does t. Both honest and positive, the author stresses the importance of re-inventing yourself and your present, prioritising relationships and retaining a sense of humour.
- Author BiographySandy Sulaiman has been a journalist for 20 years, with articles published in most UK national newspapers, as well as specialist publications and women's magazines. She was diagnosed with Huntington's disease seven years ago. Sandy lives near Banbury, Oxfordshire, UK.
- Author(s)Sandy Sulaiman
- PublisherJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Date of Publication26/04/2007
- SubjectCoping with Problems & Illness
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Content Note16 illustrations
- Weight263 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine9 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.