All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.82
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.80
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.86
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $36.95
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.10
- AU $25.61Trending at AU $28.23
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.31
About this product
- Description...if one wants to make progress in mathematics one should study the masters t the pupils. N. H. Abel Heeke was certainly one of the masters, and in fact, the study of Heeke L- series and Heeke operators has permanently embedded his name in the fabric of number theory. It is a rare occurrence when a master writes a basic book, and Heeke's Lectures on the Theory of Algebraic Numbers has become a classic. To quote ather master, Andre Weil: To improve upon Heeke, in a treatment along classical lines of the theory of algebraic numbers, would be a futile and impossible task. We have tried to remain as close as possible to the original text in pre- serving Heeke's rich, informal style of exposition. In a very few instances we have substituted modern termilogy for Heeke's, e. g. , torsion free group for pure group. One problem for a student is the lack of exercises in the book. However, given the large number of texts available in algebraic number theory, this is t a serious drawback. In particular we recommend Number Fields by D. A. Marcus (Springer-Verlag) as a particularly rich source. We would like to thank James M. Vaughn Jr. and the Vaughn Foundation Fund for their encouragement and generous support of Jay R. Goldman without which this translation would never have appeared. Minneapolis George U. Brauer July 1981 Jay R.
- Author(s)Erich Hecke
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication03/12/2010
- Series TitleGraduate Texts in Mathematics
- Series Part/Volume Number77
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight364 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Translated byG.R. Brauer,J.R. Goldman,R. Kotzen
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition Statement1st ed. Softcover of orig. ed. 1981
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.