All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.48
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.31
- AU $36.79Trending at AU $38.13
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.65
- AU $33.36Trending at AU $36.24
- AU $20.18Trending at AU $24.49
- AU $23.12Trending at AU $33.89
About this product
- DescriptionLester Lefty Nicholls develops a hatred for his given first name because of teasing and hazing, but thing blocks his passion for the game of baseball. In Lefty Nicholls: A Pitcher's Story baseball is the most important thing in his life, but he faces many challenges in the game and other aspects of his life as he grows as a person. The sport consumes him at the expense of family, friends and anything else in his life. He constantly dreams of making it to the major leagues and he is t going to stop until that dream becomes a reality. But first and foremost he has got to get rid of that funny first name. He hates it, and his peers constantly tease him about it. So he chooses to go by the name Lefty instead. The book follows Lefty as he works to achieve his dream, painstakingly tracing his journey t only as a baseball player but also as a boy growing into a man. Reaching beyond the realm of baseball, Lefty Nicholls: A Pitcher's Story encompasses family life and delivers a very strong, very clear message about the importance of family ties in the transition from youth to adulthood. As Lefty hones his pitching skills, he faces tragedies and triumphs while making new friends. Some friendships are surprising, but ne so much as the one he develops with his father. No matter what life throws him, Lefty's father is there to help him bring it home, providing unyielding support as Lefty becomes a man and begins a family and career of his own. Though principally geared to a young adult audience, Lefty Nicholls: A Pitcher's Story has something to offer readers of all ages and interests. Regardless of age, sports fans and developing players will find something useful in these pages. Baseball fundamentals and tips are weaved into the backdrop of a touching tale, placing emphasis on basic skills and questioning some of the techniques used in the modern day game. Goal-oriented young adults will find this compelling story useful and inspirational as they journey along their own paths of personal growth. Those with speculative interests and ideas will appreciate the timeline of the tone, which carries readers from the present day to the year 2039, when Lefty is a grown man chasing the World Series. Lefty Nicholls: A Pitcher's Story is packed with moments of laughter and tears. This one boy's struggle to reach the top is symbolic of the great American Dream, and readers will turn page after page, cheering for Lefty and eager to see how far he will go. Lefty's story was written by a man who is stranger to baseball, family life or writing. Grandfather to fourteen children, author Jack P. Bender has coached and played baseball for years and is in the St. Louis Amateur Baseball Hall of Fame for his coaching and contributions to youth athletics. For approximately three decades, he worked as a publisher, editor and reporter with community-based publications. While Bender's first book, The Presidency: A Woman's Struggles, is intended for adult readers, Lefty Nicholls: A Pitcher's Story marks his smooth entry into the game of young adult fiction, where he's decided to stay for awhile. He is currently working on his third book, Follow the Bouncing Ball, intended for young adults and sports fans.
- Author BiographyAuthor Jack P. Bender has coached and played baseball for many years in the St. Louis area. He is in the St. Louis Amateur Baseball Hall of Fame as a coach and contributor to youth athletics. He is a retired printing company executive from a company that bears his name. Previously in the 1960s, 1970s and early 1980s he was a publisher, editor and reporter. His newspaper work was restricted to community publications which were popular during those years and allowed him to express his interests in the development of youth sports programs and facilities to provide positive development of young adults. He was also positive toward community development and growth through better government and educational programs. His latest writing efforts were encouraged by friends to renew his association with writing and to produce this book and others. He is the author of The Presidency: A Woman's Struggles, a work of fiction not intended for young readers. He is currently working on another sports book, Follow the Bouncing Ball, for youth and sports fans of all ages. Bender resides in suburban St. Louis County. He has five adult children and fourteen grandchildren, ages one to twenty one.
- Author(s)Jack P Bender
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication15/10/2013
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectBall Games: Field & Outdoor
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight245 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.