All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.09
- AU $46.36Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
About this product
- DescriptionLeg Over Leg is the semi-autobiographical account of Ahmad Faris al-Shidyaq, a pivotal figure in the intellectual and literary history of the modern Arab world. His adventures and misadventures provided him with opportunities for wide-ranging digressions on the intellectual and social issues of his time, including the igrance and corruption of the Lebanese religious and secular establishments, women's rights, the manners and customs of Europeans and Middle Easterners, and the differences between European and Arabic literature. In Leg Over Leg, al-Shidyaq also celebrates the beauty of the Arabic language. Akin to Sterne and Rabelais in his satirical outlook and technical inventiveness, al-Shidyaq produced in Leg Over Leg an unprecedented sui generis work. It was initially widely condemned for its attacks on authority, its skepticism, and its obscenity, and later editions were often abridged. This is the very first English translation of the work and reproduces the original edition, published under the author's supervision in 1855.
- Author BiographyAhmad Faris al-Shidyaq (1805 or 1806-1887) was a foundational figure in modern Arabic literature. Born to a prominent Maronite family in Lebanon, al-Shidyaq was a pioneering publisher, poet, essayist, lexicographer and translator. Known as the father of Arabic journalism, al-Shidyaq played a major role in reviving and modernizing the Arabic language. Humphrey Davies is an award-winning translator of Arabic literature from the Ottoman period to the present. Writers he has translated include Elias Khoury, Naguib Mahfouz, Alaa Al Aswany, Bahaa Taher, Mourid Barghouti, Muhammad Mustagab, Gamal al-Ghitani, Hamdy el-Gazzar, Khaled Al-Berry, and Ahmed Alaidy, as well as Ahmad Faris al-Shidyaq and Yusuf al-Shirbini for the Library of Arabic Literature. He has also authored, with Madiha Doss, an anthology of writings in Egyptian colloquial Arabic. He lives in Cairo.
- Author(s)Ahmad Faris Al-Shidyaq
- PublisherNew York University Press
- Date of Publication16/10/2013
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleLibrary of Arabic Literature
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNew York University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight703 g
- Width152 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Edited byHumphrey Davies
- Edition Statementabridged edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.