All listings for this product
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $73.52
- AU $32.89Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.32
- AU $30.90Trending at AU $32.08
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.67
- AU $44.12Trending at AU $51.80
- AU $23.80Trending at AU $30.03
About this product
- DescriptionTo understand how the legal system works, students must consider the law in terms of its structures, processes, language, and modes of thought and argument-in short, they must become literate in the field. Legal Literacy fulfills this aim by providing a foundational understanding of key concepts such as legal personhood, jurisdiction, and precedent, and by introducing students to legal research and writing skills. Examples of cases, statutes, and other legal materials support these concepts. While Legal Literacy is an introductory text, it also challenges students to consider critically the system they are studying. Touching on significant socio-legal issues such as access to justice, legal jargon, and plain language, Zariski critiques common legal traditions and practices, and analyzes what it means to think like a lawyer. As such, the text provides a sound basis for those who wish to pursue further studies in law or legal studies as well as those seeking a better understanding of how the legal field relates to the society that it serves.
- Author BiographyA former litigator in Edmonton, Alberta, Archie Zariski has been teaching law and legal studies since 1991, including classes on mediation, alternative dispute resolution (ADR), evidence, and legal literacy. He is co-editor of The Multi-Tasking Judge: Comparative Judicial Dispute Resolution (Thomson Reuters).
- Author(s)Archie Zariski
- PublisherAU Press
- Date of Publication18/09/2014
- SubjectLaw: General & Reference
- Series TitleOpen Paths to Enriched Learning
- Place of PublicationEDMONTON
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintAU Press
- Weight340 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.