Save on Textbooks
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.80
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.96
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.25
- AU $35.12Trending at AU $54.56
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.27
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $35.62Trending at AU $37.45
About this product
- DescriptionLegerdemain is the true story of a young undercover operative for the U.S. Air Force during the Truman-Eisenhower Administrations who was sent on a mission to wrest French Morocco from the French colonial system and bring it into the American sphere of influence. The purpose was to insure Moroccan air bases for the Strategic Air Command which was vital for a retaliatory strike against the Soviet Union. The story underlines President Truman's disregard for French friendship and is willing to risk it for the sake of U.S. security. The disregard is further illustrated by the secret storage of atom bombs in French Morocco which was completely unkwn to Charles DeGaulle, President of France. The story unveils the working of undercover operatives of Britains MI6, Israel's Mossad, America's CIA, France's Security Services, the Soviet Union's KGB as well as the French Foreign Legion set against the exotic backdrop of the alleyways, coffee houses and bathhouses of Casablanca, the exotic fairs of Marrakech, the settings of privilege in Cairo and the mountainside villages of Cypress. The author's experience also takes him through Berber villages in the Atlas Mountains and Foreign Legion outposts on the apron of the Sahara. Through it all, the author unfolds Islamic thinking of that period and sets it as a prelude to the affairs of the Twenty First Century.
- Author BiographyJames Heaphey is professor emeritus, Graduate School of Public Affairs, State University of New York. In addition to teaching and writing he directed political development programs in Brazil, Costa Rica, Cyprus, Egypt, Lebanon and South Korea from 1961 to 1992, and gave seminars on the politics of developing countries for American military officers stationed in Europe and the Far East from 1968 to 2003. He has a B.A., summa cum laude, from Western Reserve University, and a Ph.D. in political science from the University of California at Berkeley. He served as an intelligence officer in the U.S. Air Force from 1951 to 1954.
- Author(s)James J. Heaphey
- PublisherHistory Publishing Company llc
- Date of Publication01/09/2007
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHistory Publishing Company llc
- Content Noteb/w photos
- Weight676 g
- Width230 mm
- Height155 mm
- Spine30 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.