All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book is an inquiry into the concept of legitimacy. In stable democratic states, such as the Nordic societies, legitimacy is often taken for granted. However, these essays show that this treasure of politics is very fragile. Legitimacy is understood as a gift bestowed on the authorities by citizens, rather than a means used by the authorities in order to remain in power. This emphasizes the role of the citizens rather than of the authorities. At the same time legitimacy is seen as an ethical assessment of those in power. In this volume, legitimacy is studied by philosophers, human rights scholars and theological ethicists. The articles cover inter-state political systems, nation states as well as conflict resolutions between individuals on a grass root level.
- Author BiographyTage Kurten is professor in Theological Ethics and Philosophy of Religion at Abo Academy University (Finland). His main fields of study have been ordinary life-views, ethics and law and philosophical presuppositions of theology as well as Christian ethics. Lars Hertzberg is professor emeritus in Philosophy at Abo Academy University. He has done work on the philosophy of language, philosophical psychology, moral philosophy and Ludwig Wittgenstein.
- PublisherPeter Lang GmbH
- Date of Publication18/08/2011
- Place of PublicationFrankfurt am Main
- Country of PublicationGermany
- First Published2011
- ImprintPeter Lang GmbH
- Weight380 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Edited byLars Hertzberg,Tage Kurten
- Edition Statement1st New edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.32
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.53
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.37
- AU $36.79Trending at AU $38.16
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.69
- AU $20.18Trending at AU $24.51
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.