All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $43.60Trending at AU $86.60
- AU $65.90Trending at AU $72.30
- AU $64.90Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $93.88Trending at AU $107.11
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $104.15
- AU $56.16Trending at AU $56.92
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $113.32
About this product
- DescriptionLeonardo da Vinci (1452-1519) is rewned as a painter, designer, draftsman, architect, engineer, scientist, and theorist. His work as a sculptor is t commonly ackwledged, and many have argued that Leonardo believed that sculpture was an inferior art form ( of lesser genius than painting ). Challenging and overturning these assumptions, Leonardo da Vinci and the Art of Sculpture looks at the sculptural projects that the artist undertook, as well as the late Renaissance sculptures that were indebted to him. Leonardo consistently drew inspiration from ancient sculpture, admired the work of such contemporary sculptural invators as Donatello, and even trained under Andrea del Verrocchio, the preeminent bronze sculptor of late 15th-century Florence. Furthermore, Leonardo spent many years of his life working on two larger-than-life-sized horse sculptures-Sforza and Trivulzio-monuments to Francesco Sforza, the Duke of Milan, and to Gian Giacomo Trivulzio, his sucessor. Although neither was completed, the authors argue that these equestrian monuments show how Leonardo was intensely engaged with the design dilemmas of representing a horse rearing on its hind legs. Ather highlight of the book is a group of new images of the John the Baptist Preaching to a Levite and a Pharisee, a recently restored large-scale work in the Florentine Baptistery that clearly demonstrates Leonardo's collaboration with Giovanni Rustici.
- Author BiographyGary M. Radke is Professor of Fine Arts at Syracuse University.
- Author(s)Gary M. Radke
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication02/10/2009
- SubjectIndividual Artists / Art Monographs
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Content Note154 colour illustrations
- Weight1338 g
- Width254 mm
- Height304 mm
- Spine24 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.