All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDespite its reputation as the most impressive in the world, there is evidence that the U.S. Navy is in trouble. Inexpensive diesel submarines routinely beat U.S. nuclear subs - and those same diesel submarines have proven to be very dangerous to aircraft carriers. Air force pilots from various countries frequently beat Navy pilots, whose weapons are often improperly tested. U.S. Carrier Strike Groups have to use Canadian ships as escorts because the U.S. Navy doesn't have eugh surface ships to protect its own capital ships. The Up or Out promotion system, massive personnel turver, inexperience and drug and alcohol abuse have taken a huge toll also, and made it difficult for the Navy to build cohesive, well-trained combat units. Lessons Not Learned offers a compelling, often scathing assessment of the Navy and concludes that it has a learning disability in certain areas that should be cause for national concern. Author Thompson looks at indicators that suggest the Navy is mismanaged, overconfident, overweight, dependent, and plagued by systemic problems that many other navies have avoided. Finally, he offers a firm argument for reform, improvement, and change so that the Navy can indeed be the best and t just the biggest.
- Author BiographyRoger Thompson is a Fellow of the Inter-University Seminar on Armed Forces and Society, a member of the Research Committee on Armed Forces and Conflict Resolution (RC 01) of the International Sociological Association, and an internationally recognized authority on combat motivation, military sociology, regular/reserve total force issues, and military bureaucratic politics. His previous book was Brown Shoes, Black Shoes and Felt Slippers: Parochialism and the Evolution of the Post-War U.S. Navy.
- Author(s)Roger Thompson
- PublisherNaval Institute Press
- Date of Publication15/05/2007
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationAnnopolis
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNaval Institute Press
- Content Note10 photographs
- Weight490 g
- Width159 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine22 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $72.68
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $98.73
- AU $36.78Trending at AU $37.91
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.33
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.03
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.03
- AU $25.01Trending at AU $27.16
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.