All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionEver wonder where sand comes from? Or why shells are colored differently? Or how to estimate the size of a wave? Featuring more than forty fun hands-on activities for families with children, Lessons from the Sand reveals the science behind the amazing natural wonders found on the beaches of North Carolina and South Carolina. Easy-to-do experiments will help parents and kids discover the ways water, wind, sand, plants, animals, and people interact to shape the constantly changing beaches we love to visit. Featuring colorful illustrations and clear instructions, most activities require thing more than an observant eye and simple tools found at local stores. You will learn about geology, weather, waves and currents, the critters that live on our beaches, and the environmental issues that threaten them. Chapters also include indoor activities for rainy days and activities for nighttime discovery. This book will become an indispensable companion for families, teachers, and students heading to the Carolina coast for years to come.
- Author BiographyCharles O. Pilkey is an artist and writer living in Mint Hill, North Carolina, USA. Orrin H. Pilkey is James B. Duke Professor Emeritus of Earth Sciences at Duke University, USA and coauthor of How to Read a North Carolina Beach.
- Author(s)Charles O. Pilkey,Orrin H. Pilkey
- PublisherThe University of North Carolina Press
- Date of Publication30/03/2016
- SubjectNatural History: General
- Series TitleSouthern Gateways Guides
- Place of PublicationChapel Hill
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe University of North Carolina Press
- Content Note212 colour illustrations, 39 figs, 14 tables
- Weight544 g
- Width178 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $73.59
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.11
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.05
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.87
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.29
- AU $57.95Trending at AU $58.89
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $113.02
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.