All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $33.15Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.58
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.01
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $96.28
- AU $39.56Trending at AU $42.72
About this product
- DescriptionLetitia Elizabeth Landon (1802-1838) was one of the leading women poets of the second generation of English Romantic writers. Following her predecessor Walter Scott and her contemporary Lord Byron, she was a fluent practitioner and essential invator of the metrical romance and exerted a strong influence on the work of Victorian poets (especially Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Robert Browning and Christina Rossetti). This book analyses Landon's poetics, with particular reference to the close relationship between the narrative poem as literary genre and its gender implications. Landon was both an eclectic writer and a literary businesswoman: she was an extremely effective promoter of her literary work in order to support her independent life in London. Furthermore she was the editor of several annuals and gift-books, wrote for magazines, and published numerous poems, vels, and editorials. Her active life and mysterious and premature death in Africa attracted the curiosity of many biographers during the twentieth century, but only in recent times has critical attention been paid to her rich literary output. This volume aims to discuss and analyse the work of a talented artist whose metrical romance strongly influenced the poetics of late Romanticism, and prefigured a highly successful genre widely adopted during the Victorian age: the dramatic mologue.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Serena Baiesi is research fellow and teaches English Literature at the University of Bologna. She has published a book on colonial women writers in Australia (Pioniere in Australia: diari, lettere e memoriali del periodo coloniale, 1770-1850), and articles on colonial and postcolonial literature, English women writers and historical drama of the Romantic period. She has edited an issue of the journal La Questione Romantica on colonialism and imperialism (2008).
- Author(s)Serena Baiesi
- PublisherPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Date of Publication01/03/2010
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationPieterlen
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- First Published2010
- ImprintPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Weight270 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
- Edition StatementNew edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.