All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn the tradition of Thoreau author and adventurer Michael C. Hurley offers insight on life, faith and family as revealed in the wilderness experience. Traveling all over North America and Canada by cae between 1995 and 2003, often with his young children in tow, Hurley reflects on his experiences in intimate, thought-provoking essays and endearing, campfire tales. First published over eight years in the journal Paddle & Portage, these stories have become a modern classic of wilderness literature, transporting readers deep into the North Woods and along peaceful southern streams. With a quiet wisdom, Hurley invokes universal truths hidden in wild places and beckons readers into the forest to discover those truths for themselves.
- Author BiographyMichael C. Hurley holds a degree in English Education from the University of Maryland at College Park and a law degree from St. Louis University. He entered private practice as a trial attorney with a firm in Houston in 1984. In 1988, he formed his own practice, later recognized by the Houston Business Partnership as the fastest growing law firm in the city between 1988 and 1991. Following the birth of his second child in 1991, Hurley and his family moved back east to North Carolina, where he has been in private practice since 1993. He has earned success and notoriety as a trial attorney and has been listed in North Carolina Super Lawyers* every year since that recognition was first published in 2006. Hurley was born in Baltimore, the youngest of four children, the child of a working mother and an absent, alcoholic father. Growing up in and around Chesapeake Bay, he was inoculated with a lifelong passion for sailing and the outdoors. He obtained his Coast Guard Captain's license in 1992 and worked as a sailboat charter captain on the North Carolina coast for six months during the waiting period for admission to the North Carolina bar. Between 1995 and 2004, while practicing law full time, he also published a quarterly sporting journal, Paddle & Portage, devoted to wilderness canoeing. His journal was enjoyed by more than 10,000 subscribers in 48 states and resulted in his first book, Letters from the Woods--recognized as a classic of wilderness canoeing literature that the Raleigh News & Observer described as pointed, personal, and poignant. a deep and passionate tale of wilderness adventures, a celebration of universal truths and well worth reading. Mike and his wife Susan have four children and are members of St. Michael's Episcopal Church. Together they enjoy dancing, travel and entertaining.
- Author(s)Michael C Hurley
- PublisherRagbagger Publishing
- Date of Publication01/01/2005
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectNatural History: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRagbagger Publishing
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight222 g
- Width127 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.03Trending at AU $32.48
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $43.10
- AU $43.72Trending at AU $48.90
- AU $9.20Trending at AU $16.14
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $33.73
- AU $42.71Trending at AU $48.94
- AU $11.97Trending at AU $20.27
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.