All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $46.25Trending at AU $49.52
- AU $3.75Trending at AU $7.39
- AU $16.66Trending at AU $30.84
- AU $27.04Trending at AU $31.08
- AU $70.90Trending at AU $79.81
- AU $32.98Trending at AU $39.85
- AU $20.50Trending at AU $24.14
About this product
- DescriptionBe original. See what happens. So Todd Gitlin advises the young mind burning to take action to right the wrongs of the world but also looking for bearings, understanding, direction, and practical examples. In Letters to a Young Activist, Gitlin looks back at his eventful life, recalling his experience as president of the formidable Students for a Democratic Society in the '60s, contemplating the spirit of activism, and arriving at some principles of action to guide the passion and energy of those wishing to do good. Through a series of letters, he imparts to a new generation of radicals and activists the passion he felt as an angry young man and the wisdom he has attained as a mature political writer, teacher, and father. Gitlin considers the three complementary motives of duty, love, and adventure, reflects on the changing nature of idealism, and shows how righteous action requires realistic as well as idealistic thinking. And he looks forward to an uncertain future that is nevertheless full of possibility, a future where patriotism and intelligent skepticism are t mutually exclusive. With compassion and hard-won insight, Gitlin invites the young activist to enter imaginatively into some of the dilemmas, moral and practical, of being a modern citizen--the dilemmas that affect t only the problems of what to think but also the problems of what to love and how to live.
- Author BiographyTodd Gitlin is a professor of journalism and sociology and the chair of the Ph.D. program in communications at Columbia University. He is the author of fourteen books, including most recently the novel Undying and The Chosen Peoples: America, Israel, and the Ordeals of Divine Election. He is a regular contributor to the New Republic and TPMcafe.com, and has written for outlets including the New York Times, Washington Post, Boston Globe, Nation and Harper's.
- Author(s)Todd Gitlin
- PublisherThe Perseus Books Group
- Date of Publication26/07/2012
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBasic Books
- Weight181 g
- Width127 mm
- Height201 mm
- Spine15 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.