All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionExplanatory antations make Hobbes's sometimes archaic prose accessible to students. The text is based on the 1909 Oxford University Press edition, which in turn was based on one of the most fully corrected copies of the text that was widely available to readers in the seventeenth century. The editors have also ted variations between this text and other authoritative editions. Backgrounds includes writings on Hobbes's life; selections from his responses to criticism of the book; and criticism and reactions to the work by Sir Robert Filmer, James Harrington, Bishop Bramhall, Edward Hyde (the earl of Clarendon), Gottfried Wilheim Leibniz, Montesquieu, and Henry Sedgwick. Interpretations collects eight of the most important assessments of Hobbes and Leviathan written in the last forty years, including writings by Leo Strauss, Michael Oakeshott, Johann P. Sommerville, Richard Tuck, Jean Hampton, David Johnston, George Kateb, and Richard E. Flathman. Also included in this edition are a Selected Bibliography, Glossary of Terms, and Index of Authorities Cited in the work.
- Author BiographyRichard E. Flathman is George Armstrong Kelly Memorial Profesor of Political Science at Johns Hopkins University, where he has taught since 1976. His many books include Thomas Hobbes: Skepticism, Individuality and Chastened Politics; Willful Liberalism: Individuality and Volunteerism in Liberal Theory and Practice; and The Practice of Political Authority. David Johnston is Associate Professor of Political Science at Columbia University, where he has taught since 1986. He is the author of The Idea of a Liberal Theory: A Critique and Reconstruction and The Rhetoric of Leviathan: Thomas Hobbes and the Politics of Cultural Transformation.
- Author(s)Thomas Hobbes
- PublisherWW Norton & Co
- Date of Publication07/11/1996
- SubjectPolitical Science & Theory
- Series TitleNorton Critical Editions
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWW Norton & Co
- Content Notenotes, bibliography, glossary
- Weight340 g
- Width145 mm
- Height236 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Edited byDavid Johnston,Richard Flathman
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.03Trending at AU $32.48
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $43.10
- AU $43.72Trending at AU $48.90
- AU $9.20Trending at AU $16.14
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $33.73
- AU $42.71Trending at AU $48.94
- AU $11.97Trending at AU $20.27
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.