All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.09
- AU $166.95Trending at AU $170.17
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.55
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.59
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $49.74Trending at AU $52.38
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.54
About this product
- DescriptionPoisoned. Ruined. Silenced. A family story. In 1988 Gill Fyffe undergoes a traumatic birth, requiring a blood transfusion. Over the following years, Gill struggles to raise her family as she experiences constant and extreme fatigue, at one point falling asleep at the wheel, crashing her car. When her daughter is seven she receives word from the authorities her transfusion was contaminated. She has Hepatitis C, a virus that destroys the liver. Gill is treated with Alpha Interferon. The treatment fails because it is too late. Because of the crippling side-effects, including memory loss, photosensitivity with skin that cant tolerate sunlight, she has to resign from her job teaching in a top private school. She cant sue, because it is too late. Financially ruined, Gill uncovers years of unheeded warnings about the safety of blood donations and a shameless official cover-up. LifeBlood is the extraordinary, heart-breaking story of how a woman's life has been affected by one the UK's biggest medical scandals. It's also a remarkable portrait of a family under stress, and how it comes to value what really matters. As a major inquiry is due to report after many years of delays, Gill's story is a timely and explosive reminder of the human cost of placing profit before ethics and the establishment's unwillingness to compensate for its mistakes.
- Author BiographyGill Fyffe read English at the University of St Andrews and was awarded an MLitt with distinction for a verse biography of Rose de Beauharnais, the empress Josephine. Gill's life has been affected by the consequences of a contaminated blood transfusion. She taught at the University of St Andrews and Fettes College, Edinburgh, before side-effects forced her to resign. She is immensely proud of her son and daughter who, educated at Fettes College, went on to study at Imperial and RADA, Oxford and LARA. Gill now lives in Soho.
- Author(s)Gill Fyffe
- PublisherFreight Books
- Date of Publication09/03/2015
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Place of PublicationGlasgow
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintFreight Books
- Weight408 g
- Width155 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine25 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.