Life Online: Researching Real Experience in Virtual Space by Annette N. Markham (Paperback, 1998)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $51.47Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by the_nile
- Est. delivery by 13 Nov
- AU $25.41Free postage
- Acceptable condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $34.30Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.20
- AU $21.17Trending at AU $25.58
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.07
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $35.05
About this product
- DescriptionAlienating for some, yet most intimate and real for others, emerging communications techlogies are creating a varied array of cyberspace experiences. Nowhere are the new and old more intertwined, as familiar narratives of the past and radical visions of the future inform our attempts to assess the impact of cyberspace on self and society. Amidst the dizzying pace of techlogical invation, Annette N. Markham embarks on a unique, ethgraphic approach to understanding internet users by immersing herself in on-line reality. The result is an engrossing narrative as well as a theoretically engaging journey. A cast of characters, the reflexive author among them, emerge from Markham's interviews and research to depict the complexity and diversity of internet realities. While cyberspace is hyped as a disembodied cultural arena where physical reality can be transcended, Markham finds that to understand how people experience the internet, she must learn how to be embodied there-a process of acculturation and immersion which is t so different from other anthropological projects of cross-cultural understanding. Both new and t-so-new, cyberspace provides a context in which we can ask new sorts of questions about all cultural experience.
- Author BiographyVirginia Tech University
- Author(s)Annette N. Markham
- PublisherAltaMira Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication29/09/1998
- SubjectPopular Culture & Media: General Interest
- Series TitleEthnographic Alternatives
- Series Part/Volume Numberv.6
- Place of PublicationCalifornia
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAltaMira Press,U.S.
- Content Notebibliography, index
- Weight404 g
- Width154 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.