All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $35.30Trending at AU $38.10
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.98
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.38
- AU $30.82Trending at AU $34.99
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.48
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.92
- AU $30.02Trending at AU $32.14
About this product
- DescriptionConsider that you were asked how to ensure human survival. Where would you begin? Conservation of resources jumps to mind. We need to conserve resources in order that ecomic activities may continue. Alas, this is a false start. Resources are always defined by a given ecomic system, and only it determines what is and what is t a resource. Therefore, conserving resources implies only the perpetua- tion of the appropriate ecomic system. Conservation of resources as we kw them has thing to do with the survival of mankind, but it has very much to do with the survival of the industrial system and society we live in today. We have to start, therefore, at a more basic level. This level, some may argue, is addressed by ensuring for human beings clean genes. Again, this is a mistaken beginning. It is thoroughly mistaken-for reasons of science. It is a false start because malfunctioning organs and morphological structures are t only due to deleterious hereditary factors but particularly due to unfavorable environments during early growth and development. Moreover, eugenics is t acceptable to any but a small fraction of society. Eugenics may t be irrelevant to our future, but is premature and should be of little concern until we understand how human genes and environment interact.
- Author(s)Valerius Geist
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication09/10/2011
- SubjectMedicine: General
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Note9 black & white illustrations, biography
- Weight795 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine27 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.