All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $70.99
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.73
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.29
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.09
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $36.97
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.76
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $85.59
About this product
- DescriptionIn 1695, Louis Sebastien, Le Nain de Tillemont completed volume 13 of his Memoire ecclesiastique, entitled La vie de saint Augustin . Consisting of approximately 1,200 pages wherein Tillemont compiled all extant passages relevant to the biography of Augustine of Hippo, the biography was published posthumously in 1700. The work lies in the tradition of Jansenism from Port-Ro yal and the Leuven. Though an ascetic recluse on the family estate for the last twenty years of his life, Tillemont was in touch with important scholars and the ecclesiastical movements of his time. His work is the first modern biography of Augustine, and the most comprehensive of all Augustinian biographies; modern authors consult him and frequently adopt his theories without citation. His method exercises influence on Parisian scholarship on Augustine to this very day. This English translation has been divided into three volumes: 1: birth to Episcopal consecration (354-396); 2: the Donastist controversy (397-411); 3: the Pelagian controversy (412-430).
- Author BiographyThe Editor and Translator: Frederick Van Fleteren is Professor of Philosophy at LaSalle University in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Internationally respected for his scholarship in Augustine of Hippo, he is the general editor of and a contributor of several book chapters to the series Collectanea Augustiniana; the present volume is the eighth in that series. Professor Van Fleteren has edited three volumes of Anselm Studies and has likewise contributed to several other volumes in that series. He edited a volume entitled Columbus and the New World and a biography of Prince Demetrius Gallitzin. For many years he has served as associate editor of Augustinian Studies, and he is co-editor of the critically acclaimed Augustine through the Ages: An Encyclopedia, which has been translated into Italian, French, and Spanish. He is the author of an ethics text, Fundamental Principles of a Natural Law Ethic. He has contributed countless articles to philosophical and theological journals in several languages and has served as a publisher and journal reviewer on Augustine of Hippo and Anselm of Canterbury. He is a Life Member of Clare Hall Cambridge and has twice been a visiting fellow at Istituto Trentino di Cultura. A much sought-after speaker internationally, he has spoken at several universities and conferences in North America, Europe, and Asia.
- Author(s)Frederick Van Fleteren,Louis-Sebastien Le Nain de Tillemont
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication09/03/2010
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2010
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight650 g
- Width160 mm
- Height230 mm
- Translated byGeorge Berthold
- Edition Statement1st New edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.