Life of Sir Joshua Reynolds, Ll.D., F.R.S., F.S.A., Etc., Late President of the Royal Academy: Volume 1: Comprising Original Anecdotes of Many Distinguished Persons, His Contemporaries, and a Brief Analysis of His Discourses by James Northcote (Paperback, 2014)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $90.88Trending at AU $93.26
- AU $28.71Trending at AU $30.90
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.02
- AU $34.29Trending at AU $38.77
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.42
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $22.22
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
About this product
- DescriptionA fellow Devonian, James Northcote (1746-1831) was an admirer and pupil of Sir Joshua Reylds, whose two-volume biography he published in 1813-15. Reissued here is the 'revised and augmented' second edition of 1818. Northcote is self-deprecating as to his fitness for the task, but claims that a worthy biography of a great artist can be written only by ather artist, and his close personal kwledge of his subject and the circle in which Reylds moved gives him insights, as well as providing anecdotes, which would t be available to a more 'professional' author. Volume 1 covers the first fifty years of Reylds' life, and includes accounts of Reylds' development as an artist, his growing fame, the founding of the Royal Academy and the first six of his Discourses on Art (also reissued in this series), which Northcote defends against claims that they were t written by Reylds himself.
- Author(s)James Northcote
- PublisherCambridge Library Collection
- Date of Publication13/01/2014
- SubjectThe Arts: General & Reference
- Series TitleCambridge Library Collection - Art and Architecture
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note2 b/w illus.
- Weight460 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.