All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.86
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.50Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $44.28Trending at AU $47.26
- AU $24.09Trending at AU $28.39
About this product
- DescriptionAttempts by people to enact their political beliefs in their daily lives have become commonplace in contemporary US culture, in spheres ranging from shopping habits to romantic attachments. This groundbreaking book examines how collective social movements have cultivated individual practices of lifestyle politics as part of their strategies of resistance, and the tensions they must navigate in doing so. Drawing on feminism and other movements that claim that the personal is political, the book explores how radical anarchist activists position their own lifestyles within projects of resistance. Various lifestyle practices, from consumption to personal style to sexual relationships, are studied to address how identity and cultural practices can be used as tools of political dissent. An accessible and provocative text, Lifestyle Politics and Radical Activism blends theory with empirical materials to highlight issues that are important t only to anarchists, but also to anyone struggling for social change. This unique analysis will contribute to the development of anarchist theory and practice and will appeal to anyone interested in political activism and social movements.
- Author BiographyLaura Portwood-Stacer is Visiting Assistant Professor of Media, Culture, and Communication at New York University, US. Her research on identity, consumption, and political resistance has appeared in Feminist Theory, Sexualities, Journal of Consumer Culture, and New Media & Society.
- Author(s)Laura Portwood-Stacer
- PublisherContinuum Publishing Corporation
- Date of Publication24/10/2013
- SubjectPolitical Ideologies & Parties
- Series TitleContemporary Anarchist Studies
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintContinuum Publishing Corporation
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight292 g
- Width152 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine15 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.