All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $3.76Trending at AU $7.42
- AU $27.80Trending at AU $30.93
- AU $19.24Trending at AU $26.96
- AU $29.33Trending at AU $32.03
- AU $71.12Trending at AU $80.38
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $15.78
- AU $25.16Trending at AU $27.13
About this product
- DescriptionLight of the Sufis introduces the complex and multilayered topic of Sufism, or Islamic mysticism, by concentrating on its expression in the visual arts and offers new insights into the integrative and fluid nature of the Sufi experience that has solicited strong reactions-both negative and positive-in Muslims and n-Muslims alike for several hundred years. Sufism became well established in the 9th to 10th century and reached its height in the 12th to 13th century. From its inception, Sufism recognized the traditions and practices of other faiths and cultures with which it came into contact, adapting and incorporating elements of Greek philosophies, Christian mysticism, Judaism, Zoroastrianism, Manichaeism, and Buddhism. This diversity has been reflected t only in the words and the lives of celebrated Sufi mystics but also in some of the finest literature, music, performance, and visual arts produced in the Islamic world. Lavishly illustrated, this exhibition catalogue presents exceptional works in various media from diverse areas of the Islamic world, including North Africa, Turkey, Iran, and India, and dating from the ninth century to the present.
- Author BiographyLadan Akbarnia is Hagop Kevorkian Associate Curator of Islamic Art, Brooklyn Museum, and Executive Director of the Iran Heritage Foundation, London. Francesca Leoni is Assistant Curator of the Arts of the Islamic World at The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston.
- Author(s)Dr. Francesca Leoni,Ladan Akbarnia
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication02/07/2010
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Series TitleMuseum of Fine Arts, Houston
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Content Note50 colour illustrations
- Weight771 g
- Width229 mm
- Height305 mm
- Spine10 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.