All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn this inspired translation of Like a Straw Bird It Follows Me, Ghassan Zaqtan's tenth and most recent poetry collection, along with selected earlier poems, Fady Joudah brings to English-language readers the best work by one of the most important and original Palestinian poets of our time. With these poems Zaqtan enters new terrain, illuminating the vision of what Arabic poetry in general and Palestinian poetry in particular are capable of. Departing from the lush aesthetics of such celebrated predecessors as Mahmoud Darwish and Adonis, Zaqtan's daily, delicate narrative, whirling catalogues, and at times austere aesthetics represent a new trajectory, a significant leap for young Arabic poets today. In his preface to the volume, Joudah analyzes and explores the poet's body of work. Ghassan Zaqtan's poems, in their constant unfolding, Joudah writes, invite us to enter them, exit them, map and unmap them, code and decode them, fill them up and empty them, with the living and nliving, the animate and inanimate, toward a true freedom.
- Author BiographyPalestinian poet Ghassan Zaqtan is the author of ten collections of poetry. He is also a novelist, editor, playwright, and journalist. Fady Joudah is a practicing physician of internal medicine and an award-winning poet and translator. He lives in Houston, TX.
- Author(s)Ghassan Zaqtan
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication03/04/2012
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Series TitleThe Margellos World Republic of Letters
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Weight666 g
- Width130 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Translated byFady Joudah
Save on Textbooks
- AU $39.95Trending at AU $54.70
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.60
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.63
- AU $18.90Trending at AU $23.23
- AU $26.38Trending at AU $38.31
- AU $53.34Trending at AU $56.23
- AU $28.48Trending at AU $29.68
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.