All listings for this product
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $28.83Trending at AU $29.69
- AU $64.00Trending at AU $71.39
- AU $23.68Trending at AU $25.61
- AU $49.99Trending at AU $51.14
- AU $46.95Trending at AU $53.52
- AU $17.27Trending at AU $24.04
- AU $36.33Trending at AU $40.72
About this product
- DescriptionAfter her older sister is murdered in a horrific incident of domestic abuse, Taylor begins a new life in a new town. She meets Lily, whose open, warm manner conceals a difficult personal life of her own, coping with her brain-injured mother. The two girls embark on a tentative friendship. But just when life seems to be smoothing out, Taylor s abusive boyfriend, Devon, arrives on the scene, and before they kw it, the girls find themselves in a situation that is both scary, and incredibly dangerous. Abetted by Cor, a friend who owes him a favor, Devon takes the girls to a remote cabin. There is heat, food, water. There is a hunting rifle, which Devon uses to intimidate the others. As he becomes increasingly agitated, and Cor threatens to bail, the girls engage in a silent battle of their own. Lily wants to escape, while Taylor feels hopelessly trapped by her relationship with Devon and uses sex and flattery to try to keep the situation calm. The cabin becomes a pressure cooker, filled with tension as the four teenagers wrestle with their anger, fear, resentment and boredom any one of which could tip the situation into disaster. From the opening moments when Taylor witnesses her sister s autopsy to the final cathartic scene after the two girls have survived their ordeal, the reader is glued to every page of this frank, gripping and beautifully written vel that raises questions for every teenager. Do you need to be a certain way to get a boyfriend? Can someone who loves you also hurt you? How can a million small compromises eat away at who you are? What happens when you don t think you deserve to be treated well? How do you end up in an abusive relationship, and what keeps you there? Elise Moser goes deeply into the hearts and minds of Lily and Taylor, who in the end save each other in unexpected ways.
- Author Biography<b>Elise Moser</b> was born in Brooklyn and spent her childhood in small-town New Jersey. She moved to Montreal to do an English degree at McGill University, and stayed on. She worked at Paragraphe Bookstore for twelve years and went on to become a long-time sales rep for American university presses with Lexa Publishers Representatives.Her short stories have been published in Canada and the US, and her adult novel, <i>Because I Have Loved and Hidden It</i>, was praised by the National Post as [an] ambitious and artfully woven debut novel when it was released in 2009. Shewas president of the Quebec Writers Federation between 2009 and 2012. She presently divides her time between Montreal and Sauk City, Wisconsin.
- Author(s)Elise Moser
- PublisherGroundwood Books
- Date of Publication03/09/2013
- SubjectYoung Adult Fiction
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintGroundwood Books
- Weight340 g
- Width140 mm
- Height211 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound,Paper over boards,With dust jacket
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.