All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLime trees (Tilia spp.) are widely distributed and locally important members of rthern temperate broad-leaved forests. In marked contrast to the largely uniform morphology of the genus its taxomic treatment has become increasingly confused and controversial, with over one hundred species and numerous subspecies described. Using extensive data from field studies of natural populations around the world, this book clarifies the situation, proposing a revised taxomy of 23 species and 14 subspecies. Detailed descriptions are provided for all recognised taxa and are accompanied by illustrations. Data from herbaria and cultivated trees are used to extend the analyses where appropriate and type specimens are included to stabilise menclature. Lime tree ecology is also considered, with an exploration of experimental and analytical data on regeneration, growth and reproduction in relation to climate and soils. Additional material includes a glossary of botanical terms and appendices of herbarium codes and relevant physical concepts.
- Author BiographyDonald Pigott is a past director of the Cambridge University Botanic Garden and former Professor of Biology and Head of Department at the University of Lancaster. He has spent over fifteen years extending his earlier studies of the genus Tilia to cover its full natural range from Japan and China, to Europe, eastern North America and Mexico.
- Author(s)Donald Pigott
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication06/09/2012
- SubjectScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note314 b/w illus.
- Weight1360 g
- Width219 mm
- Height276 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.61Trending at AU $33.14
- AU $17.80Trending at AU $22.29
- AU $43.34Trending at AU $44.45
- AU $34.88Trending at AU $37.10
- AU $25.92Trending at AU $34.12
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.33
- AU $36.24Trending at AU $40.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.