All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $7.99Trending at AU $8.23
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.78
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.22
- AU $66.64Trending at AU $74.69
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $36.87
- AU $25.61Trending at AU $28.40
About this product
- DescriptionThe passenger train has long held a special place in the imagination of Americans, and Indiana was once a bustling passenger train crossroads. Limiteds, Locals, and Expresses in Indiana, 1838-1971 brings to life the countless locals, accommodation trains, and secondary expresses that Hoosiers patronized during the Golden Age of the passenger train. Craig Sanders gives us a comprehensive history of intercity passenger service in Indiana, from the time railroads began to develop in the state in the mid-19th century through May 1, 1971, when Amtrak began operations. Each chapter summarizes the history and development of one railroad, discusses the factors that shaped that railroad's passenger service-such as prolonged financial difficulties, competition, and the influence of a strong leader-and concludes with a detailed account of its passenger operations in Indiana. Sixteen maps, 87 photographs, and other evocative illustrations supplement Sanders's text.
- Author BiographyCraig Sanders teaches journalism and mass media communications at Cleveland State University. He earned a Ph.D. in mass communications and an M.A. in journalism from Indiana University, an M.A. in political studies from Sangamon State University, and a B.A. in history and political science from Eastern Illinois University. His research has focused on the relationship between newspapers and attorneys, and the work of newspaper ombudsmen. He worked for 13 years as a newspaper reporter and copy editor. A lifelong railroad enthusiast, he has published articles in Trains magazine and The Observation Car, the Amtrak Historical Society magazine.
- Author(s)Craig Sanders
- PublisherIndiana University Press
- Date of Publication04/06/2003
- SubjectTrains & Railways: General Interest
- Place of PublicationBloomington, IN
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIndiana University Press
- Content Note87 b&w photos, 16 maps
- Weight1248 g
- Width5487 mm
- Height7112 mm
- Spine23 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.