In 1796, the general assembly of Georgia created a new county from the eastern portion of Wilkes County in rtheast Georgia. Bordered by the Savannah River to the east, the Broad River to the rth, and the Little River to the south, Lincoln County quickly became a sports and recreational paradise. With the construction of Clark Hill Lake, the population increased, as did the quality of education and life. Fortunately, most of the families that populated Lincoln County are still here. Even NFL (t from Lincoln) folks settle down, become Lincoln High School Red Devil football fans, and begin to believe the small county of Lincoln and the county seat of Lincolnton really are paradise.