All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $94.99Trending at AU $106.80
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.51
- AU $104.90Trending at AU $118.13
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.21
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $107.51
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $106.06
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $86.71
About this product
- DescriptionLingua francas are languages used for communication between individuals for whom they are t the first language. Based on empirical work throughout, the individual contributions to this volume address lingua franca communication from sociolinguistic as well as from conversation analytic perspectives, or place this form of communication within the wider context of foreign language teaching. The volume as a whole attempts to broaden the traditional view of lingua francas as languages employed by n-native speakers to serve specific, restricted communicative purposes only. Instead, it is demonstrated that lingua francas have gained a number of varied functions, and that they are employed by a heterogeneous group of speakers for whom they do t always have the same status of a second or foreign language. The papers reveal intriguing similarities in form across different lingua francas, but also point at significant differences. As a result, it is proposed that approaches to teach lingua francas as such need to be developed on the basis of empirical evidence.
- Author BiographyThe Editors: Karlfried Knapp is professor of Applied and English Linguistics at the University of Erfurt. His main areas of research are the sociolinguistics of English, interpreting, intercultural communication and second language acquisition. Christiane Meierkord teaches English and Applied Linguistics at the University of Erfurt. She received a Ph.D. from Duesseldorf University for her thesis on non-native/non-native speaker interaction in English.
- PublisherPeter Lang AG
- Date of Publication01/01/2002
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintPeter Lang AG
- Content Notetab.
- Weight400 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Edited byChristiane Meierkord,Karlfried Knapp
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.