All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $70.99
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.73
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.29
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.09
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $36.97
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.76
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $85.59
About this product
- DescriptionThis book offers a new perspective on current semantic theory by analysing key aspects of linguistic meaning and n-truth-conditional semantics. It applies n-truth-conditional semantics to various areas of language and critically considers earlier approaches to the study of semantic meaning, such as truth-conditional semantics, Speech Act theory and Gricean conventional implicatures. The author argues that those earlier approaches to linguistic semantics do t stand up to close scrutiny and are subject to a number of counterexamples, indicating that they are insufficient for a comprehensive and unified account of linguistic semantics. An alternative framework is then presented based on recent developments in the field, demonstrating that it is possible to provide a unified account of linguistic semantics by making two fundamental distinctions between conceptual and procedural meaning and explicit and implicit communication. These two distinctions, combined with the various levels of representation available in linguistic communication, allow researchers to capture the variety of linguistic meaning encountered in natural language. The study includes a discussion of a number of areas within linguistic semantics, including sentence adverbials, parentheticals, discourse/pragmatic connectives, discourse particles, interjections and mood indicators.
- Author BiographyXose Rosales Sequeiros is Associate Professor of Linguistics at Xi'an Jiaotong-Liverpool University. Previously, he taught widely in the United Kingdom, including at the Universities of Leicester, Greenwich and Portsmouth. His research interests include semantics, pragmatics and cognition.
- Author(s)Xose Rosales Sequeiros
- PublisherPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Date of Publication22/02/2012
- Series TitleContemporary Studies in Descriptive Linguistics
- Series Part/Volume Number32
- Place of PublicationPieterlen
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- First Published2012
- ImprintPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Weight380 g
- Width150 mm
- Height225 mm
- Edition StatementNew edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.